Award-winning film-maker Michael Moore says that the basic recipe for creating a great entertainment venue business can be found at the State Theater (cinema) in Traverse City, Michigan.
“The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), the main federation of Hollywood’s six major studios, posted on their web site a list of what they believe are some of the best movie theaters in the world,” the controversial, Michigan-born journalist says.
#1 MOVIE PALACE
“And listed as #1 is the historic State Theatre of Traverse City, Michigan, an incredible movie palace which I restored and now run as a nonprofit theater — along with a few hundred great volunteers!”
Moore goes on to describe how the theater was made into a success story — covering everything from cheap concessions to a strict no-cellphone-use policy.
THE KEY INGREDIENTS
Michael Moore’s recipe for (venue) success:
- Show really good movies
- Reject the need to make profit
- Don’t rip people off
- The theatre belongs to the community
- Install the best projection and sound system available
- Never show commercials before films (Other than coming attractions)
- Anyone using a mobile phone, even texting, will be banned for life
- Each Summer they host a film festival…
To read more about Michael Moore’s recipe for (venue) success please click here.
Join in our discussion about building venues for success on LINKEDIN